Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Knitting Update

Since Blogger isn't cooperating and letting me upload photos of any kind, I thought, "What the heck! Let's do a post without photos." So here goes.

I've been struggling with starting the knitting part of my challenge. Seems I have a huge fear of trying to knit socks, and failing. I don't want to frog them back. Or find they are too small, too big, not the same size, or god forbid...don't stay up. How can I possibly be proud of handknit socks that pool at the ankle? Anyone can have socks that pool at the top of their shoe, requiring pulling up at the most in opportune times.

When I have fear, I am an expert at procrastination. (Case in point? I applied to my 1st 2 day craft show 6 days before the date of the show. No lie.)

I did try to incorporate TCB (taking care of business) and it's sister mantra--Just Do It!-- this weekend, and found the sock yarn, needles, and my trusty "anyone can knit socks" book.

And I did something I never do. I started knitting a gague swatch. All successful knitting starts with a gague swatch, right? I realized after re-reading the instructions halfway into the swatch, that I probably should be knitting in the round instead of flat...but who said this process was going to be perfect.

So I'm on my way to starting my 1st ever handknit sock.

Don't get too excited...I didn't actually figure out the gague from the swatch.


Yet.

No comments: