Tuesday, May 31, 2011

To Stash or Not to Stash

That is the question.

I listened to a podcast a couple nights ago and the podcaster was talking about sewing thru all her fabric stash. I mean all of it. She had one piece of denim left. She was debating how much stash she felt like she should have. What was the right amount to feel like you could just decide to go sew and have options of what you want to create but not so much that it would feel overwhelming.

I gotta tell you. The idea of walking into my sewing room and having neat, clean, uncluttered shelves sounds like a dream. I would be delighted. But the idea of walking in and seeing just one piece of fabric? That makes me uncomfortable. Really uncomfortable.

I've gotten very used to being able to solve a sewing challenge with whatever supplies I can find in my studio. In fact, I've started to feel proud about not always having to run out to get something (thread, elastic, etc) to finish a project. But how much it too much? How do you know when to say when? How many fabric bins in the basement of things that no longer fit in the studio is too many?

I recently visited a friend who has always been a person where there is a place for everything and everything is in it's place. Always. That's never been me. But it's sooo appealing. Realistically I won't likely ever be that kind of organized, but I'm definitely more conscious about how much might be too much.

So I've started. I'm attempting to use up my stash. If the perfect fabric or notion doesn't immediately make itself apparent, the project goes off to the side. The perfect thing is in there somewhere...I just haven't searched to the bottom of the right tub yet. No really.

Wish me luck. And if you're in the market for some sewing supplies...give me a buzz...I might have just what you're looking for!

3 comments:

julievanscoy said...

I feel the same way about my card-making paper stash, my mosaic glass stash, etc. I think all about balance...need some stuff for when you want to pick up a project and like to have supplies on hand, but not too much that it doesn't fit in the space you've alloted for it...that's my plan. I'll let you know if I have any success...

LisaBB said...

Peter J Hall who designed Romeo & Juliet was the king of the Destash. He was doing sketches on the cardboard that came with some shirts he bought for himself. I tried to buy him paper, but no. We did one round of fabric shopping in NYC. The rest came out of our stock. Again I told him we could buy more fabric, No darling, I'm sure there's something in here somewhere we can use.

Boutique Girl Gifts said...

I love being compared to Peter J Hall!